X has officially started rolling out its ChatGPT rival Grok to Premium+ subscribers.
The “rebellious” chatbot, which was developed by xAI, is currently limited to U.S. users only but is expected to be expanded to more countries soon.
Why we care. Generative AI is now a crucial tool for SEO and PPC marketers. Industry experts have so far given positive feedback regarding Grok, praising the chatbot for its superior intelligence and creativity compared to other models. This indicates that digital marketers should consider incorporating X’s new chatbot into their strategies to explore potential benefits.
Accessibility. Grok is being introduced gradually, so not all U.S. Premium+ subscribers can use it yet. The rollout prioritizes longer-term subscribers, granting them access sooner, as confirmed in a post by X. The complete rollout is expected to finish within the next week.
If you are on mobile and can’t see Grok, X advises making sure you update and restart the app before assuming you don’t have access.
Getting started. You can find Grok in the X side menu on the web, iOS, and Android. The chatbot can also be added to the bottom menu on the X app for easy access, however, the app must be up to date.
How it works. Grok is a conversational chatbot that works in a similar way to ChatGPT and Google’s Bard. It is powered by a LLM called Grok-1, which was developed using web data as recent as Q3 2023 as well input from human assistants.
Why it’s different. What sets Grok apart from competitors such as Bard and ChatGPT is its ability to utliize real-time knowledge from X and incorporate it into its responses. For example, if you were to ask ChatGPT “What is trending in the news today?”, the chatbot would not be able to answer the question as it lacks real-time capabilities. Grok, however, would be able to answer this question – although it’s not clear how accurate the response would be.
According to xAI:
- “Grok is an AI modeled after the Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy, so intended to answer almost anything and, far harder, even suggest what questions to ask!”
- “Grok is designed to answer questions with a bit of wit and has a rebellious streak, so please don’t use it if you hate humor!”
Reactions. The response to Grok so far seems to be positive with some predicting it could potentially “win the Chat AI war.” Former Googler and CEO of Abacus.AI, Bindu Reddy, wrote on X:
- “Grok – First Impressions…”
- “- 3.5 class model.”
- “- missing ChatGPT’s bells and whistles.”
- “- makes up by being spicy af.”
- “- Twitter’s real-time feed is a huge advantage.”
- “Definitely has a lot of novelty value. If Elon can quickly improve it to have lasting value, it could win the Chat AI war. Underscores the fact that winning the Chat AI commercial market vs winning the AGI race can be mutually exclusive TLDR: Grok is nowhere near GPT-4 quality but still has a good shot at being a significant player in the Chat AI market.”
- “Jokes and foul language apart, Grok’s responses are so entertaining because it sounds way more intelligent than the other ChatLLM apps Fundamentally, the safety RLHF makes the other LLMs dumber… You are killing off part of the LLM brain by overly censoring it.
Digital marketer, Edward Sturm, also gave his verdict on X:
- “Grok is insane. I’m finding so many brilliant insights and comments THAT JUST YESTERDAY were difficult to find.”
- “Grok is a dramatic level-up in knowledge. It shows Tweets that are hard to find with normal Twitter Search. Tweets that contain info that ChatGPT will not tell you. For creative marketing strategies, this is a game changer. growthhacking #seo #marketingsecrets #startups. “
Next steps. Grok can only work with text at the moment and doesn’t have the ability to understand images or videos, unlike Bard However, xAI is planning to improve the model so that it can also process video, audio, and other types of content in the future.
What X is saying. Describing the chatbot on his X account, Elon Musk said:
- “xAI’s Grok system is designed to have a little humor in its responses.”
- “Grok has real-time access to info via the 𝕏 platform, which is a massive advantage over other models. It’s also based & loves sarcasm. I have no idea who could have guided it this way.”
Get the daily newsletter search marketers rely on.
Deep dive. Read our LLM optimization guide for information on how to influence generative AI outputs.